GDM Greeter

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Wed May 7 22:14:41 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 04:15:40PM -0400, David Boles wrote:
>> Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
>>> I'm not testing rawhide... I'm testing F9. Sure, right now, that's the
>>> same thing, of course, but it's still an important distinction, because
>>> rawhide is going to be an official release soon, and it should be ready.
>> I agree. However the 'problem' you have with GDM is not a Fedora
>> problem but a GNOME 'problem'.
>
> Nothing really forced Fedora to stick into a release something
> which is clearly not yet done.  No problems with something like
> that in rawhide but one should pay attention to testers.

Then you should bitch and complain all day and all night.  ;-)  Of course it
is all for nothing now but maybe it will make you feel better.  ;-)

As I recall, and I could be wrong, this is a complete rewrite. And it is part
of the current 'new' GNOME. And the 'old one' would not work well or at all.

All of this was announced and discussed and no one on the development list
objected.

Linux is a moving target. I can not think of anything that is ever truly
'done' now or when released. When software, by your description, is truly
'done' it is usually dropped because it is no longer being supported and/or
worked on any longer.

As for GDM? What you see is what you will get. Fedora 9 is scheduled for next
week and there is already somewhat of an expected slowdown in Rawhide.

As for me? I don't have a problem with GDM myself. Since there is only me here
I missed the autologin feature. The link(s) that I posted before show you how
to do that now. The new way. I found that information with a little effort and
a little time. I dealt with it as it is.

I sorry that you are disappointed. It will all be fixed eventually. And,
perhaps even then, you won't be happy. Time will tell. Good luck.
--

   David