What's the Status of Audio in GDM?

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 16:34:47 UTC 2008

The problem is not the available sounds after login, but the sounds to indicate

a) The logon screen is available (boot is completed)
b) Your logon or password is invalid

Leslie

Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote: On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 18:10 -0700, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I raised this issue with Fedora8, (sound when ready to perform logon).
>
> Need to wait and wait until I am sure that system is up.

Have you tried what I proposed in some bug ? In F9, it should be easy to
add a desktop file to /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow that calls
some noise-making command. Maybe not an ideal solution, but it should
work, I think. In fact, I just tried it with a little script that does

sleep 1
aplay /usr/share/sounds/info.wav

and it made a sound.

The desktop file should look roughly like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Noise
Exec=/tmp/noise