icewm has no programs

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 12 07:28:29 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please file a bug report against icewm.
>> ... And post the BZ# here.

446022

> I assume that you're using icewm-xdgmenu, right?

? What's icewm-xdgmenu, and how would I know to use it?

Oh:
apt-cache show icewm-xdgmenu
Package: icewm-xdgmenu
Section: User Interface/Desktops
Installed Size: 7682
Packager: Fedora Project
Version: 1.2.35-3.fc9
Depends: icewm = 1.2.35-3.fc9, pyxdg, /bin/sh, /usr/bin/python
Provides: icewm-xdgmenu = 1.2.35-3.fc9
Architecture: x86_64
Size: 7682
MD5Sum: 15caf26270607ee693bd5feed21d6255e77e7637
Filename: icewm-xdgmenu-1.2.35-3.fc9.x86_64.rpm
  IceWM-xdgmenu generates static IceWM menu files from the existing
  freedesktop.org .desktop files. Files are re-generated each time the
  user logs-in.

[root at potoroo ~]#

Okay, it seems to me an undeclared dependency.

Note, the description says "each time the user logs _in_."

I'd be happier if the menus were built by a script run by rpm; I've
never looked at triggers, but I expect that this is the sort of thing
they deal with.

> I managed to reproduce the problem, but a simple login-logout solved
> the problem.
> Weird.

Since my problem seems explained by the lack of a menu generator, and
presumably you do have said generator, you and I might be seeing
different problems.

It will be a while before I test it, atm I'm trying to virtually install
  CentOS5 using KVM and I'm wondering whether it's emulating the CPU.

> - Gilboa

ps
Those are interesting names you have; I've "wasted" a pleasant hour or
so (time flies) googling both, travelling the world from my desktop. I
particularly like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archanasr_2000/2171405876/

pps On VNC alternatives, I use TightVNC on Windows (native Windows
binaries) but not on Linux (Crashes coming out of -fullscreen, or was it
going into -fullscreen? Not good either way).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait