openbox on fedora-release-9-2.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 12 11:35:57 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:55:51AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Starts with an absolutely clear desktop which I think confusing.
>>
>> Has few menu items, none except "exit" works.
>>
>> Gnome/openbox isn't obviously different from gnome.
>
> That's pretty standard for OpenBox, no?

I was wondering what to do with my F9<almost> system. I'd been having
trouble with xen f8 and gone to rawhide which lead to much tribulation,
and I'd just discovered that updated Xen Dom0 support isn't going to
happen until F10.

While ponding where to go next, whether to risk the same problems with
*suse or *ntu, I idly ran "apt-cache search 'window manager'" and
installed the likely candidates.

However it is supposed to work, starting with a blank screen is
unattractive.

I haven't figured out ratpoison either. Instead, I decided to play with
KVM sans libvirt.

> I have a page on it, though it's mostly written for people who've been
> using fluxbox, but it gives some useful (imho) keyboard bindings.
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/fluxopen.html

If openbox (etc) is doing what it ought, that's fine. It seems very
strange to me, and not something I care  a lot about:-)

Now, what happened to xfce?

--
John