icewm has no programs

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 12 14:58:03 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:28 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:

>> 446022
>
> OK. Assigned to me. (NEEDINFO)
>
>>> I assume that you're using icewm-xdgmenu, right?
>

>> Okay, it seems to me an undeclared dependency.
>
> Undeclared, by design.
> Some people might want to define the menus manually.

Seems to me that
1. It should, in the first instance, share the global definitions,
2. Maybe allow per-user overrides.

As one who supports users' computers, I see grief for sysadmins in the
current implementation. Sysadmins like computers to all be the same.

>> Note, the description says "each time the user logs _in_."
>
> Indeed.

As I noted in the bug report, it does happen when one logs in, it
happens asynchronously and had me a bit puzzled when I saw it twice
before it was fully built.

>> I'd be happier if the menus were built by a script run by rpm; I've
>> never looked at triggers, but I expect that this is the sort of thing
>> they deal with.
>
> Problem is - I don't have any means to detect if the GNOME/KDE menu have
> been changed since the last login.

Look at what the triggers do. What (I think) you need is to know when
the packages reflected in the menus get installed/removed, maybe updated.

> More-ever, even on my laptop (a PII/366, 256Mhz), rebuilding the menus
> eats ~1-3 seconds (being executed in the background).

I managed to see it not completed, twice, on a Core 2 Duo system.

> If you want to disable the auto-rebuild, just edit
> the /usr/share/icewm/startup script.
>
>>> I managed to reproduce the problem, but a simple login-logout solved
>>> the problem.
>>> Weird.
>> Since my problem seems explained by the lack of a menu generator, and
>> presumably you do have said generator, you and I might be seeing
>> different problems.
>
> Guess so.
>
>> It will be a while before I test it, atm I'm trying to virtually install
>>   CentOS5 using KVM and I'm wondering whether it's emulating the CPU.
>
> P.S. IceWM is also a part of Fedora's EPEL repository. (RHEL/CentOS)

atm I have SL5 on two systems, I have IceWM on one of them. It seemed
pretty quick (and I didn't see a problem with the menus), that was (in
part) why I installed it on Fedora.

--

Cheers
John