f9 install notes

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Wed May 14 17:35:38 UTC 2008

Thanks go out to the f9 team for a great release.  I used the new jigdo file
to update my prerelease iso.  This was way faster than loading an entirely
new install dvd.  On to the install...

I booted the new x86_64 dvd and asked anaconda to check it.  It said it was
OK, and ejected the dvd.  When I said to continue, I would get an error
dialog, over and over and installation would not continue.  I had to do a
reset and start over and bypass the media check.  This happened on two
different machines.

On upgrading a F8 install, anaconda could not determine the boot loader and
selected the "do nothing" option, so I used it.  F8 booting as a straight
forward sda grub load.  However, on reboot, anaconda had indeed modified the
grub.conf file correctly, with all other entries intact.  I think a new user
would be really confused.  I was just slightly confused :-).  I think the
grayed out "boot loader will be modified" entry should have been selected.

When I ran system-config-display, it said it would generate a xorg.conf.bak
file, but never did.  It just did a replacement of the file.

Did a fresh install to a new PUNDIT 1H AH2 system with sata disk and dvd.
Two gigs memory and 4400+ X2 processor.  It uses an NVIDIA 6150 graphics
chip onboard.  I used a CTX-S762G LCD 17" monitor.  When I booted from the
install dvd, I get "Signal out of Range" for the display and I could not
continue.  Using the "vesa" option to the boot parameters allowed me to go
through the install.  I got the same thing on firstboot, so I had to add
"vesa" and "resolution=1280x1024" to the boot parameters.  I still had to do
<ctrl><alt>+ several time to get past the same message.  Running
system-config-display and selecting a generic 1280x1024 LCD display and vesa
hardware allows the system to boot.  It seems Xorg wants to drive the
display faster than 75Hz.  And again, there is not a backup file generated
for xorg.conf.

Now on to upgrading my rawhide machine to the new f10 rawhide.

Jim