avahi exclusion principle

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun May 18 07:27:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 02:04 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>> Or is this a matter or a missed obsoletes somewhere since both of
>> those packages seem to be in my rpm DB?
> No.
>
> Such duplicated rpmdb entries indicate something having gone utterly
> wrong when installing a package, either underneath of yum/apt or deeply
> inside of rpm.

Thanks for the feedback, Ralf.
I will try to determine what version of Fedora at what time that old
avahi existed to see if it is worth filing a bug.
The preupgrade process that I went though didn't end cleanly so that
might have been one of the unclean bits.

In the end I will 'yum remove avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386' and 'yum
reinstall avahi-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386' to replace anything that the
removal process might have displosed of.

>> For that matter, are there any packages with the fc7 tag still valid
>> on F9?
> They may be valid, they may not be valid. Provided Fedora's current
> package naming rules, these tags are not of much importance in an
> installation.
>
> A package using '*.fc9' only means that the packager had been using
> dist-tags inside of his rpm.specs and that the package has been built
> after fc8. I.e. a package using "*.fc7" may well be valid/current for
> FC9.

I thought so. I removed some obvious ones that I knew I didn't need.
The others I will investigate.

>>  If not, that would provide me with some low hanging cruft.
> Check the "package-cleanup" utility from the yum-utils package.
>
> Unless your rpmdb is corrupt (your symptoms above could be in indication
> for such breakdown), package-cleanup should enable you to sort out your
> issues.

rpm -Va reported a great deal of "missing" files so I figured I would
manually sort that out before decyphering the other files that it
reported.

Looking at that package-cleanup app, it looks like 'package-cleanup
--cleandupes' might do my above yum remove/reinstall process more
thoroughly.

Thanks again.

/Mike

/Mike