r8169 ethernet stopped working kernel-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64

Josep Puigdemont josep.puigdemont at gmail.com
Fri May 30 23:15:13 UTC 2008

El dv 30 de 05 de 2008 a les 07:43 -0400, en/na Neal Becker va escriure:
> Oh the horror!
>
> My wired r8169 stopped working.  The driver is loaded - I don't see any
> errors.  tcpdump reports nothing (except my own dhcp requests). NM won't
> connect.
>
> Booted 2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64.  Works.
>
> I have repeated this several times.
>
> One thing I don't understand - I'm sure r8169 has been working for me for
> quite a while after that last kernel update.
>
> One thing - I DID get a bunch of yum updates last night - but none seem to
> be relevant.

I am hit by a similar problem with this driver, although I noticed since
an earlier version of the kernel (2.6.24).

I managed get the network back by removing the kernel module (r8169) and
reloading it again, after that NetworkManeger would detect the Ethernet
interface again and configure it properly, nothing else was needed.

If you could try and see if that works for you too, then maybe we could
be hit by the same issue, and there are a couple of bugs in bz regarding
this you could subscribe to.

Unfortunately, none of the boot options Francois proposed (noacpi and
pci=nomsi) worked for me, with noapic the boot process hanged when
starting kerneloops, I think.

regards,

/Josep