Empathy no longer default for F10

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 19:17:57 UTC 2008

Hello testers!

A quick note: We have made Pidgin the default IM client for F10 again.

The original plan for F10 was to use Empathy as the default IM client,
as part of the GNOME 2.24 feature. It was the default IM client in
F10Preview and F10Beta.

The desktop team, FESCo, and the Empathy/Telepathy maintainers have
discussed Empathy's readiness[1] and decided to postpone the switch
until Empathy is a little more solid. If it's ready, we'd like it to be
the default in F11[2].

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO:

1) If you just want the default F10 experience, remove empathy and
install pidgin.
2) If you have problems with Empathy that you want to see fixed for F11,
continue using it and be sure to file bugs about problems you find:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=rawhide&component=empathy

Thanks!

-w

[1] See also: