Fedora 10 Passphrase Problem With cryptsetup-luks

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 9 16:48:47 UTC 2008

Yesterday, an update came through for cryptsetup-luks-1.0.6-6.fc10.i386.
I'm using the disk encryption; I installed it at the time I installed
Fedora 10 snapshot 3. This morning I turned on the system and when I
mistyped my passphrase the first time, the next two attempts to enter
the correct passphrase (and I knew I was typing it in correctly) would
get this response:

command failed: no key available with this passphrase.

And after the third failed attempt the system "froze" (I know that needs
a better description.)

I turned the system off using the machine's power button and turned it
on again.

The next two attempts to enter the passphrase again failed, with the
same response as above. By then I was beginning to despair a bit. The
third time I entered the passphrase, it worked! And my Fedora 10 system
started booting.

I did a `yum update` to see if there was another cryptsetup-luks updates
out there, but no. Then I shut down the machine and rebooted, and my
first attempt to enter the passphrase succeeded.

Is this the normal way cryptsetup-luks works? Or is this a bug?

I have a fully-up-to-date Fedora 10 Snap 3 installation. I guess that
makes it the same as a fully updated Fedora 10 Preview.

Thanks

Bob Cochran