Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 22:47:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 20:52 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Jesse, I don't care which route we go - NM is fine if we can persuade it to
> work.
>
> All I want is a fixed address when on my home LAN - and I'll accept reserved
> IP from my router's dhcp if that's easiest - and straight dhcp for the wifi,
> since that will be used at various locations.
>
> Since trying to get the cabled connection working properly (and it's working
> now, but not on my chosen IP address) I have lost the wifi altogether, so if
> you can advise me how to start from scratch that would probably be best.

Well, I'd re-edit your ifcfg-eth* files and set them all back to
NM_CONTROLLED=yes.  Also, I'd question why you have an eth1 file, and
perhaps remove it, if all you have is a wired and wireless.  Make sure
the eth0 file still matches the right MAC address etc..

Then in NetworkManager you can right click the panel and edit
connections.  There you should be able to define a configuration for
System eth0 complete with static addressing.  This in theory should
allow it to come up at boot time with this static address and be fine.

As to why your wireless went away, that's a different matter.  Might be
worth booting a Live image and seeing if it makes any difference by
having fresh configurations in place.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!