Still having Movie Errors when Compiz is enabled

Joey Krane linuxbsd2004 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:52:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have also with the latest kernel the issue, that if compiz is enabled,
>> looking movies
>> with mplayer (also with totem) i get back to the login-screen. The
>> video-card is a ati.
>>
>> How can we get this fixed?
>>

> I think the easiest way to get this fixed is to create 5 airlied clones...
> He seems to be the primary/only ati/radeon xorg/kernel developer, and on
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/bugs/xorg-x11-drv-ati you can
> see some of the reports fighting for his attention. You _could_ try to file
> yet another high-quality bug report, but obviously it probably won't help.
>
> A workaround is to disable compiz or modesetting or both. Having either
> enabled currently isn't an option on my systems. YMMV.

I disagree! You are only wasting valuable developers time by filing
duplicate non-critical issues!

There are enough critical issues filed that prevents from users from
booting into graphical interface or failing to boot in vesa mode and
such. I have ATI hardware and I'm one of those users that can;t can't
install via GUI.

Having to watch movie while compiz is wnabled is a privilege and will
eventually get fixed  when Fc10 is out the door.

Instead of wasting everyoine's time by filinf duplicate bugs,
developers would ap[reciate as much information you can provide.
Enable kerbel debug, mplayer debug and provide as much information as
you can on the issue you have already filed/

Steve