F10 upgrade leaves behind F9 packages

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Nov 27 14:23:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 09:20:42AM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Then anaconda showed a status bar telling me it's finishing the
> upgrade process. This stayed on the screen for some 10 minutes and
> I thought it was hung (somebody else reported the same on the list
> but can't find the thread).

Depending on a number of packages you are updating, amounts of
memory, a speed of your disk and CPU (probably in that order) this
phase may take _hours_ (yes, multiple).  Installing from scratch
is definitely a faster procedure than updating.

You can check that your machine is not dead through a text console
but some graphic "I'am not dead but truly busy" indicator would
be really nice here.

> Rebooting works and
> I'm able to log into GNOME.

You just interrupted a cleanup phase and that leaves a considerable
mess.  A crashing update may do that to you but you got yourself
into that mess on your own volition.

> What's obvious is that there are much more packages installed on
> the system and lots of foo-version.fc9 && foo-version.fc10
> packages.

Some packages may be really from older systems if they are not
duplicates.

> Do these duplicated packages pose any risk to the system?

You will likely be in a big trouble with dependencies on the
next attempt to update.

> Is it safe to just rpm -e them?

Not really.  'rpm -Va' will likely report hundreds of files missing
after such operation.  Try yum-complete-transaction instead although
'rpm -Va' may still turn out not to be totally happy.

   Michal