Selinux .vs. Apache

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Nov 30 10:29:36 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-29, 23:31 GMT, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> Ever heard what 'VirtualHost' is?  You may have many of those
> on a single machine and you do not want to drop their
> corresponding files into one big haystack.
>
> I have no idea if this is the case with OP but there could be really
> good reasons, contrary to what you think, when configurations other
> than defaults should/could be used.  These are only _defaults_ for
> crying out loud and if something is forcing defaults, or just makes
> hard enough to override those, then this something is plain broken
> by design.

Well, yes, but defaults have the nice advantage that they usually
work with the rest system (e.g., SELinux). If you want to do
everything in your own way, LFS is there waiting for you :).

Concerning VirtualHost. What about taking look at that hated and
despised default /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.confr? It is quite
interesting reading. You would find there (among other things)
this example:

    #<VirtualHost *:80>
    #    ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host.example.com
    #    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
    #    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    #    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    #    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
    #</VirtualHost>

I haven't started with the sarcastic tone of this conversation,
but one of my pet-peeves are people who didn't bother to do any
research (what about selinux(8), httpd_selinux(8), not mentioning
tons of documents over the internet -- Yahoo! gives me 1,380,000
hits for search "+selinux +apache"), but his reaction to his
failure to do something he wants to do is "SELinux is crap! We
should remove it from Fedora!".

Best,

Matěj