ath5k module vs. MadWifi

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 1 03:41:04 UTC 2008

I am wondering, for those who have an AR5007EG card, if they are finding
that lately (perhaps 2 updates or so ago) that they are better off
reverting to the MadWifi drivers.

My results are not consistent.  I imagine there are various differences
in the chipsets that I'm missing, but with two Acer laptops, one the
Aspire One, I get different results.  With the 4720z, the latest kernels
and ath5k module works without any issues.  On the AA1, it will
sometimes show nothing if doing iwlist scan, and other times, though it
will show available networks, will not get a DHCP address, nor work with
a statically assigned address.  I don't use NetworkManager, I configure
it manually, so that shouldn't be a factor.

I note that the latest Ubuntu is disabling the ath5k module by default,
saying, in their release notes, that it will conflict with the MadWifi
driver--however, they seem a bit ambiguous as to which works better.
(They say that with some of the chipsets, the MadWifi won't work with
WPA, or maybe WPA2.)  In that case, one wonders why they are disabling
the ath5k instead of encouraging people to use it--this is why I felt it
was a bit ambiguous, they just suggest that if your MadWifi driver isn't
working, install a backports modules with updated ath5k drivers.

The 4720z is working well with the ath5k.  So this might be some issue
with the AA1, however, I have a few installations on this machine--those
that are using the MadWifi driver connect without issue, while Rawhide
isn't.

So, I'm wondering what other people are experiencing.  Is the ath5k
working for you?

Thanks for any input--please note that at present, this is a fairly
trivial question as it's quite easy to blacklist and put in the MadWifi
driver.  Then, I uninstall it and put back the ath5k with each update.
:)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.