11. ath5k module vs. MadWifi

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 1 14:50:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 06:50:56AM -0700, Kevin Mifsud wrote:
> I have had no problems at all with ath5k on an AR5007EG card in an ACER Aspire 5100 laptop. I only use the same network with a 128bit WEP key and I don't use NetworkManager.
>
> Your system isn't trying to load both ath5k and ath_pci by any chance?

No, I always blacklist one or the other.  The issue only seems present
in Fedora and Mepis8.  Also, I repeat, it's really not consistent at
all.

I've now had some trouble with the ath_pci MadWifi module too, I guess
it just took a little time. I'd be prone to blame the hardware, but it
works quite well with CentOS (using MadWifi) and Ubuntu (using ath5k).

I want to thank everyone for their input.  Judging from the responses
and now, from my own experience, I've come to the conclusion that
whatever the issue may be, it is probably not the ath5k module.

Everyone's input was very helpful, and again I thank you.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: I've been around death before. A lot. I've lost
people. I've killed people...
Cordelia: And you are dead.