ath5k module vs. MadWifi

Jason Farrell farrellj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 16:12:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
> > I am wondering, for those who have an AR5007EG card, if they are finding
> > that lately (perhaps 2 updates or so ago) that they are better off
> > reverting to the MadWifi drivers.
>

> Was this working for you with Madwifi? it barely was for me, I
> couldn't suspend. Updated to the .27 kernel and using the ath5k
> driver, and stuff works now, even suspend.

This has been my experience as well, on an acer aspire one: f9 + madwifi
worked well, but didn't work after suspend/resume (unless you manually
rmmod/modprobe again); f10 + ath5k in the .27 kernel works just as well, but
also after resume.

The only real downside of the current ath5k is that the wifi status LEDs no
longer work, but that's a small price to pay for everything working after
suspend/resume, and for not needing the madwifi kmod.

--Jason