Kernel panic with Live CD

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Nov 2 16:18:46 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>>> I've put the "snap" KDE Live CD,
>>> F10-Beta-i686-Live-KDE.iso
>>> on a USB stick, and this runs on most of my computers.
>>> But it crashes on an AMD K8 (Athlon-64) machine.
>
>> The Beta image isn't one of the snapshots (of which there are 3 now I
>> believe), so there's 3 newer images out there then the Beta image you
>> tested. Can you reproduce this with more recently composed Live Media?
>
> Sorry, the ISO I installed on my USB stick was in fact
> 	F10-Snap3-i686-Live-KDE.iso
>
>>> 2. Is there a bugzilla for the F10 test distributions?
>
>> Yes, it's called 'rawhide' in bugzilla, and it should have the
>> appropriate components for Live Media.
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I take it "bugzilla" means bugzilla.redhat.com ?
> I ask because I see a kind of bugzilla list
> in the Alpha-Beta (Fedora 10 Only) forum
> at <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64>.

One of the Fedora Forum admins will need to update that to
Alpha-Beta-Snaps or something.

> The redhat bugzilla strikes me as very hard to navigate.
> There seems to be no way to limit the search for bugs to F10.
>
> If I click on "Search existing bug reports"
> and choose Classification:Fedora and Product:Fedora
> the page hangs for about 30 seconds,
> and then I get a Javascript message
> "A script on this page may be busy,
> or it may have stopped responding.
> You can stop the script now,
> or you can continue to see if the script will complete."
>
> Am I alone in finding the Redhat bugzilla system extraordinarily obtuse?
> I imagine they must lose at least 80% of bugzillas
> because people just can't work out how to report them.
>
> The KDE bugzilla system is far from perfect,
> but it is infinitely better than the Redhat one.

Part of the problem may be connecting the 7000+ software components
(packages) that make up Fedora. That is way, way more then KDE has in
their bugzilla.

>> Interesting details include;
>
>> - Does the Live image boot if you put it on a CD?
>
> I guess I should try this (and I will).
> But the USB stick works on other computers,
> so I don't see why it should not work on this,
> unless the snap Live CD just doesn't work on this computer.
>
>> - What type of kernel panic do you get?
>
> Well, it seemed to involve IRQs, as far as I could see.
> But is there any way to save the backtrace,
> or does one really have to transcribe it all by hand?
> Is there any way of reading it from, or sending it to, another computer?
> And which is most important, the beginning or the end of the trace?

You could set it up so that it logs to another computer, by appending
(IIRC) syslog=<ipaddress>:<port> to the kernel cmdline.

>> - Are there any existing bugs against the kernel version included on the
>> Live Media that you know of, that are similar to the behavior you are
>> seeing?
>
> As I said, I'm not sure how to restrict the search to F10.
> Searching for "kde live cd kernel" finds 39 bugs,
> none of which seems directly related to my problem.
>
> But I submitted my problem as bug #469562.

Since it's the kernel we're talking about, this may not be a KDE Live
Media specific bug and as such may have been logged against another
component of Fedora (e.g. the kernel, maybe).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip