Will shared swap bite me?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 3 17:53:37 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 06:06:35PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> I have to set up a machine as dual boot 32/64 bit and I would really
>>> love to not waste space on swap partitions being duplicated if I
>>> don't have to. That said, if I do two installs and use the same swap
>>> partition, what evil will come of it?
>>
>> No problems.  I do it all the time when testing/switching between
>> different Fedora releases.
>>
>>> The only obvious issue I see is suspending the non-default kernel and
>>> trying to boot the other (found that in FC6) and I can avoid that.
>>> Any other know issues I have to avoid?
>>
>> Yeah, you definately don't want to hibernate to swap on one OS and try
>> to boot the other.  You'll just lose your hibernated system and leave
>> the filesystems in inconsistent state.  In general it is very bad to
>> boot /anything/ other that the original hibernated kernel when after
>> you have hibernated.  That's why grub doesn't show you a menu when you
>> boot up in a hibernated state.
>
> _I_ don't think I'd like that. I _can_ hibernate Windows, run Linux,
> then resume Windows. I've not hibernated Linux at all except
> accidentally (FC3 I recalled resumed then shutdown, I lost interest then).
>

>>> The object is to run one 64 bit program without reinstalling the
>>> whole stable 32 bit environment.
>>
>> Why not go all 64-bit?  I've been using it, and have had zero issues
>> with 32/64 bit compatibility.
>>
> I've been running pure 64-bit Fedora and SL5 with no problems that
> concerned me: I don't know what, if any, browser plugins work, and don't
> really care. I don't like flash!

What has "like" to do with it? Both my professional (meeting replays and
training sessions) and personal (news) life requires both flash and realaudio. I
can't really see remaining ignorant of what's going on in the world because it's
not served on the right format. And I sure can't see having a Windows machine
just to keep informed.

I really can't see ignoring things I don't like, ignorance is *not* bliss, old
sayings aside.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>