AT&T Mobile Broadband Anyone?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 5 23:21:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 18:10 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Christopher A. Williams
> <chriswfedora at cawllc.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you use NetworkManager to set it up or did you first set up a PPP
> > dialer connection? NM isn't seeing it for me, but the card is clearly
> > checking in as a USB modem based on output from dmesg...
>
> Nope, NM just recognized it and it worked.

OK - Mine didn't, but I found something through a lot of Google-ing that
fixed it. It was on an Ubuntu forum.

It seems the newest USBConnect modem from AT&T is not recognized as a
modem, but rather is getting recognized as a USB drive that then can't
be mounted. Here's the fix for that:

Create a file called /etc/hal/fdi/information/modems.fdi with the
following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- xml -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>

<!-- Sierra Modems -->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1199">
<!-- GSM/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA modems
In left-to-right order of product ID:
C885 0x6880
-->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int_outof="0x6880">
<match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="4">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
<append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.07</append>
<append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.05</append>
</match>
</match>
</match>

</device>
</deviceinfo>

Once this is here, just reboot (easiest in this case). Once back up and
running, NetworkManager will recognize the card as a Sierra Wireless
(under Edit --> Connections...) and away we go!

Link to thread is:

In case anyone is interested in all the details.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.

-- Charles Schultz