existing encrypted partitions selected for overwriting by default

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 6 00:23:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 12:00:57AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> Testing an new install on a laptop where I have an existing encrypted
>> PV partition, I noticed that Anaconda offers up, checked by default,
>> existing encrypted Physical Volumes to use when creating a new VG.
>> This is very bad because unless the user is careful to uncheck the
>> partitions backing encrypted PV's, they will end up overwriting their
>> data without knowing it.
>>

> F10Preview?
>
> Tried to explain this to the Anaconda team..
> See and comment on Bug 465240
> If you unlock the "partition" then it is automatically added and
> selected.....

I unlocked the partition when Anaconda asked.  I wanted to create a
*new* VG to install to, but it checked the *old* encrypted PV
partition by default, as well as the new free one...

I'm following a few interesting encryption related threads here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-October/msg00098.html

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-October/msg00069.html

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-November/msg00068.html

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-November/msg00049.html

I'm going to test again with a newer anaconda than what is in Preview
to see if any of this behavior has changed/improved.