possible evdev issue?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Nov 8 02:59:37 UTC 2008

With no xorg.conf file, I imagine I'm using evdev by
default for input events. When configured like that,
if I'm running a gnome session, and I rudely end it by
typing "sudo reboot" in a terminal, then I find my
USB keyboard completely non-functional in the grub
screen that comes up. I have to let it go ahead and boot
the default linux and once X comes up again, the keyboard
starts working.

After I get an xorg.conf file (by installing nvidia
drivers) and add the line:

   Option	    "AutoAddDevices" "false"

to ServerFlags (to turn off evdev so I can get
draglock working), then the problem disappears.
No matter how rudely I terminate or reboot, the
keyboard works fine in grub, etc.

I admit I haven't tested this enough to be 100% sure
there is a correlation with evdev, but does this sound
like it could be a real bug? Has anyone else seen it?