Skype

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:32:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/10 Partha Bagchi <partha1b at gmail.com>:

>>> How?
>>> My skype window does not seem to have any place
>>> to configure settings.
>>>

>>> --
>
> I have followed your instructions but on my laptop mic is not working
> even if slide are fully up
> I have set Sound in to HDA Intel (plughw:Intel,0) and Sound out and
> ringing to pulse.
>
> I didn't modify any configuration file....on F8 it was working, not in
> F9 and in F10

I had lots of problems with audio when pulse was first released.
This was over a year ago, but at the time, the recommendation
on the list that worked for me was to not use it:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list/2007-October/msg00968.html

I've been happily not using pulseaudio ever since and have had
no problems with skype.  For me, pulseaudo removes 90% of
the configuration options available in alsamixer one of which
was needed to make audio work on my hardware.  I'm sure
pulseaudio is way better now than it was back then, but my
audio was working fine without it, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm not recommending that people don't use pulseaudio,
but if you can't get audio working with it, try removing it and
then running alsamixer.  For me, I have to make sure I have
enabled the proper sound capture device in alsamixer.  It's
not obvious, but hitting a space bar enables a device.

Good luck...

         David