Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 11 07:53:40 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 07:40:14 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 November 2008 03:43:40 cornel panceac wrote:
> > is the NetworkManager service stopped?
> > is the network service running?
>
> Networking is the one aspect of Fedora that always confuses me.  It seems
> to me that on a laptop I want/need NetworkManager to work with wifi
> wherever I am working.  OTOH, at home I would generally want to work with
> wired.  Can you please spell out for me which services I should be using?

Just to confuse me even more :-)  booting up this morning brought me the
dialogue to enter my WPA key, which was refused three times before appearing
to be accepted.  However, on completion, the taskbar icon showed that I have a
wired connection, so I ran ifconfig.

To my surprise I saw no eth0, but eth1 has what is clearly a dhcp address
(although it says there were ~48 million packets dropped!) so that looks as
though the wireless connection is working and the wired connection not
working.

Could you also please remind me which file I need to edit to disable IPV6?

Thanks

Anne