vt1->vt7 working solution?

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Tue Nov 11 18:40:47 UTC 2008

Adam Pribyl píše v Út 11. 11. 2008 v 19:25 +0100:
> Could someone here give me working solution how to move X from vt1 to vt7
> in F10?
>
> I am not asking for a flame about what is better, but for working
> solution.
> At the moment I tried the one supplied in some "flame" discussion - means:
> 1. in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to add "FirstVT=7" - it is not obvious in which
> section this belongs.

the "FirstVT" option is not understood by gdm now, so no need to modify
custom.conf

> 2. I add start on stared prefdm to /etc/event.d/tty1

do this and with disabled graphical boot (e.g. no "rhgb quit" in kernel
line in grub.conf) you will have X on vt7

with graphical boot you must delete a file in /var/spool/gdm before
starting gdm (in the prefdm script) - I don't use graphical boot, but
this is the theory

> but I end up in a situation where on vt1 there is running both mingetty
> AND Xorg. When I try to switch to any vt from X I get only a message in
> Xorg.0.log "Failed to switch consoles", which seems to me pretty broken.
> Where is exactly the statement telling Xorg to start with parametr "vt1"?

the key is the "--force-active-vt" option passed to gdm by plymouth
(indirectly via a file in /var/spool/gdm) and then gdm passes explicit
"vt1" to the X server

		Dan