Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:25:14 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 17:00:50 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 08:43 +0000, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > For a wired connection run the network service and disable the
> > NetworkManager
> > service.
>
> This is just bad advice.  Unless you need ipv6, or need advanced
> networking features such as bridges, or are setting up a headless system
> with static networking, NetworkManager is fine for both wireless and
> wired.  NetworkManager can have system wide connections configured that
> will be brought up at boot time, both dhcp or static.
>
> For the OPs laptop case, NM is even better as you can go from one
> location where you're using wireless to another location, plug in a wire
> and NetworkManager will automatically attempt to get an address from
> that wire and allow you to use the wired network.
>
> There are very few reasons and less each release to revert to the
> 'network' service.

Just realised - NM sees it as Auto eth1 - presumably the source of the problem
in my last message.  I'm guessing that this means I have two network services
running and fighting it out.  Maybe what I need now is some authoritative
advice on dealing with this.  Here's what I've tried so far -

Stopped network service.  Configured eth0 in NM applet - except that it still
says Auto eth1.

Rebooted - ifconfig tells me that I have eth1, but it is still on a dhcp
address, not the static one I defined in the NM applet.

Restarting network service says that eth0 is not present.  How do I get it to
use the NM settings?

I see no sign of the wireless one at all now - it seems to have totally
disappeared.

Anne