Problem setting up wired networking

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Nov 12 19:20:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:10:05PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Today I found in dmesg that
>
> udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1.
>
> I didn't see anything that amounted to a reason for that.

One possibility I can think of that something claims "eth0" name for
an interface with a different MAC that you have and a rename is done
to avoid a conflict.

What that can be and how you got into that state I have no idea.
See, for example, 'man ifrename' how this can be done.  You happen
to have something in /etc/iftab?  Or maybe somewhere else?

   Michal