Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 00:37:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 16:21 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> I agree.  While I applaud the concept behind NM, its execution is very,
> very flawed.  It can't be used on systems that use network-based
> authentication because of the chicken-and-egg problem it causes (you
> need a desktop for it to start and you can't log in to get a desktop
> because the network is down due to NM not running).

Blatantly wrong.  NetworkManager service starts well before the desktop
login, and will bring up any "system" configured connections.

> Other drawbacks: the utter and complete lack of documentation;

$ rpm -qd NetworkManager
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/CONTRIBUTING
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/README
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/TODO
/usr/share/man/man1/nm-tool.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/NetworkManager.8.gz

> the
> inability to (consistently) control its behavior via config files
> (including its ignoring of existing directives in files it claims to
> read);

Do you have specific bugs filed for specific cases where it's ignoring
things it's supposed to be reading?

> its apparent random selection of nearby wireless access points;

Again, bugs?  AFAIKT it doesn't pick any until /you/ pick one to join,
and then it'll re-join that one if it notices it's available and you're
not connected to anything else at the time.

> occasional ignoring of existing keyring entries;

Bugs filed?

>  its inability to be
> started prior to a user logging in--and then only if the system is
> in GUI mode; the list goes on.

Again, very very wrong.

> I like the idea.  It's just nowhere ready for prime time in anything
> but the absolute simplest of network environments with GUI-based
> systems.  I realize that Fedora is where things like this get the bugs
> shaken out, but NM has been a problem child for quite a while (F8, F9
> and now F10).  Anaconda should at least ask you if you want NM as the
> default network environment when upgrading or installing (it certainly
> shouldn't run roughshod over an existing network environment).  On top
> of that and given its, uhm, "maturity", you'd think there'd at least be
> a bloody man page for it!

See the rpm output from above.

--
Jesse Keating