Problem setting up wired networking

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Nov 13 14:49:10 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote, On 11/13/2008 07:27 AM:
> On Thursday 13 November 2008 11:32:48 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> $ rpm -qd NetworkManager
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/AUTHORS
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/CONTRIBUTING
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/COPYING
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/ChangeLog
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/NEWS
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/README
>>> /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/TODO
>>> /usr/share/man/man1/nm-tool.1.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man8/NetworkManager.8.gz
>> That is none.
>
> I don't know if this was intended as a response
> to my complaint about the lack of NM documentation,
> but if so (1) the man pages mentioned are completely useless,
> consisting of a bare statement that the applications exist,
> (2) I don't consider a list of AUTHORS etc to be documentation.
>
> The only item in the above list that could be considered documentation
> is README, which in my view is completely inadequate,
> eg it does not explain what the various "states" (1 to 9)
> listed in /var/log/messages actually are,
> or what the 5 "steps" that NM apparently goes through correspond to.
>
> It doesn't say what files NM looks at,
> or how one can modify NM's behaviour.

Tim,
Could you please expand[1] your comments above a (very) little more inside of
a bug report against NM documentation.

  From _MY_ perspective what Jesse and some of the others are dancing around
or have outright indicated, is:
from the NM developers perspective, If there are no BZ entries for these
problems, then the problems DO NOT EXIST. :)
And even if they disagree with the BZ entry, it is easer to keep poking them
and others with even a closed REFUSETOACK_WONTFIX bug number that others can
reference. It even would even have the benefit of getting in writing (or at
least selection box clicking) the developers opinions.

[1] or even just put what you have above in BZ so that others feeling the pain
can pile on.
I have done the fall back to network, so I have avoided the pain and thus
don't have anything I could add to the BZ, but I know my day is coming soon.

Thanks.
--
Todd Denniston