Problem setting up wired networking

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Nov 13 22:00:09 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 14:36 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> I think the biggest problem we have now is missing documentation.  If
>> only things would be documented as they were developed, rather than
>> long after or never.
>
> If only people would volunteer to help with documenting the software,
> instead of demanding that documentation show up, instead of bugs being
> fixed.

Since I'm the one that really whined about the lack of documentation,
I'm willing to help where I can.  However (and I suspect this may be the
case with many potential volunteers), the only way one can document
adequately is to know how it's supposed to work.

Obviously I'm on the outside looking in, so I haven't seen a statement
of work, requirements document, functional spec or anything that would
preclude a foray into the source to dig that information out.  I am a
qualified C/C++ programmer and can probably tunnel my way through the
source, but many probably can't and rather depend on the developer to
provide documentation.

I've been through the items in /usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-xxx and
while the README explains (in general terms) what it's supposed to do,
it says very little about HOW it does it (which files it scans, what the
various options in the files might mean and so on).

If you would like, I will try to take on the documentation task.  My
time is limited (as I'm sure yours is) and this would definitely be a
sideline thing for me, but I'm willing to "put my money where my whining
is".  I can try to do a decent man page and possibly an illustrative
texinfo tree.

Please feel free to contact me off-list.
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -