Problem setting up wired networking

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Nov 13 21:50:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:43:39PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:

> It's not about being "Gung ho", it's about NetworkManager being much
> more suitable for the default system.  The cases where you need the
> network service are fewer and fewer.

That is that "it works for me and few of my friends hence it has to
be fine for everybody" attitude which so often bugs me in an
observed desktop development.  You keep forgetting that even if some
small percentage of systems gets broken in absolute numbers this is
getting huge pretty quickly.

As you can observe on this list, and in this thread in particular,
people who have a hard time (with networking in particular) are more
that just a few and here a sample is rather limited.  "More suitable
for the default" does not really mean very much.

   Michal