Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:34:22 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 12:24:06 Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:10:40PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Yes, this may be a kernel issue, because wireless worked when I installed
> > out of the box, but the cabled connection didn't.  It may be that I have
> > to go back to the original kernel and manage without cabled altogether
> > for the present.  That could be one solution. I will alter the number of
> > kernels kept (I can't remember, off-hand where that is, but I'm sure I'll
> > find it).
> >

> > Is there any way to make an older kernel the default boot?
>
> Yes, there's a line in /boot/grub/menu.lst towards the top.  Usually it
> reads Default=0 (or something similar--writing this from a BSD machine
> so can't check the exact syntax.)
>
> 0 is the first entry, 1, the second, etc.
>
> Just change the default to read 1 if you want to boot the older kernel,
> which should be the second in the list of possible entries.

OK, thanks.  That's what I needed to know.  It used to be so in lilo :-)

If I get no further today I'll try that for a day or two, just buying time,
really.  I have exactly two weeks to get a working distro, fedora or not.  And
oddly enough I do have a life out side this :-)

> Assuming (which I'm only doing because you mentioned Linpus) that it's
> the Aspire One, it's odd that wired isn't working.

It wasn't with that one kernel (from snapshot 3, I think it was).  The next
kernel install got the wired working - and stopped the wireless working.  It's
never worked since.

> The only
> distribution that gave me trouble with wired out of the box was CentOS,
> due to an older version of the kernel driver.  (There were workarounds,
> detailed in my article on the CentOS wiki.)
>
> Hrrm, I don't think I've tried wired and NM with it though.
>
> Also, just for what it's worth (I don't know about NM) the 2.6.27
> kernels typically refer to that card as wlan0 while the earlier kernels
> that use the MadWifi driver will call it ath0.

Yes, I realise that.

> I've only had my wireless automatically set as eth1 with Intel 2100
> (although it's probably true for the 2200 as well) card.   Again, this
> is leaving NM out of the equation though, coming from the BSDs I'm just
> more comfortable doing it by hand.

This laptop has Intel 2200, and yes, it's eth1.

Anne