Problem setting up wired networking

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Nov 14 14:28:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:05:16PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> OK - I've got the livecd up.  This is not helped by the fact that it's a gnome
> desktop, so I have to search for unfamiliar tools.  However, attempting to
> connect with NM has brought some interesting info.
>
> 1. There is no list whatsoever of available wireless networks.
>
> 2. De-selecting the radio button for Auto eth0 (not eth1, mind!) results in a
> whirring, then the same connection being restored.
>
> 3. Attempting to connect to "Hidden Wireless" results, as on my own system,
> with a request for a WEP key, despite the fact that it has already been given
> the WPA key.
>
> 4. As on my own system, when the WEP key is requested there is no option in
> the drop-down list to change it to WPA.
>
> IOW, exactly like on my own system, it plain doesn't work.
>
> What now?

This *sounds* like an old bug I ran into where the nm-applet (the
graphical icon with the pull down menu) got out of sync with what the
underlying system (NetworkManager itself) had for the wireless network
list.

Can you run "nm-tool" in a terminal window, then run "iwlist scanning"
as well (I think the latter needs to be run as root)?  That may
provide a clue as to what is being misdetected.  The two should agree
on the list of APs found, their encryption modes, etc.