Problem setting up wired networking

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Nov 14 15:37:24 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 15:15:40 Anne Wilson wrote:

> [root at AAO ~]# iwlist scanning
> lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> wmaster0  Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> wlan0     No scan results
>
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> pan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> *MAC address obscured.

My impression is that "iwlist scan" hasn't been giving anything sensible
for quite a long time (long before F-10).

Now I try it, and I find it is working fine ...
[tim at mary ~]$ sudo iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

irda0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:DA:56:B4
                    ESSID:"dd-wrt"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Signal level:-74 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Extra: Last beacon: 135ms ago

pan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.