Problem setting up wired networking

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Nov 14 16:18:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 02:03:54PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 13:12:52 Steve Thompson wrote:
>
> > NM does not work in this
> > situation; the hostname never gets set.
>
> I've probably misunderstood completely,
> but doesn't it get the hostname from /etc/sysconfig/network ?

To an extent.  In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit there is the following code:

  if [ "$HOSTNAME" = "localhost" -o "$HOSTNAME" = "localhost.localdomain" ]; then
       <some conditions checked and variables set>
                        eval $(ipcalc -h $ipaddr 2>/dev/null)
                        hostname ${HOSTNAME}
  fi

So if you did not already set that earlier from values in
/etc/sysconfig/network then all that really comes to what, and when,
'ipcalc -h $ipaddr' is doing for a calculated value of $ipaddr.
This picture is a bit more involved than that but this is the main
point.   With the current NM you need either to "hardwire" a machine
name in /etc/sysconfig/network or you will end up as
localhost.localdomain.

It sounds like Steve Thompson supplied names in DHCP leases and this
stopped to work.  I really cannot tell why without a detailed
investigation.  OTOH if you are able to resolve addresses to names,
through /etc/hosts or a local DNS server or whatever then, AFAICT,
with 'network' service this still works in F9 and the current
rawhide.

   Michal