Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 17:27:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 12:05 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> OK - I've got the livecd up.  This is not helped by the fact that it's a gnome
> desktop, so I have to search for unfamiliar tools.  However, attempting to
> connect with NM has brought some interesting info.
>
> 1. There is no list whatsoever of available wireless networks.

Do you expect that there are other wireless access points in the area?
Have you seen them with another system?  Just not showing any available
doesn't mean that something is broken, it could just mean that there are
no non-hidden access points within range of your card.

If you do know that there are some available, then I do suspect that
there are deeper card/firmware issues at play here, not failings of
NetworkManager.

> 2. De-selecting the radio button for Auto eth0 (not eth1, mind!) results in a
> whirring, then the same connection being restored.

It's not a de-selection, you've triggered it to re-associate that
connection, in the case of your wired connection to re-dhcp.  I don't
believe that currently there is a good way to disable a wired connection
through the UI.

> 3. Attempting to connect to "Hidden Wireless" results, as on my own system,
> with a request for a WEP key, despite the fact that it has already been given
> the WPA key.

When did you give the WPA key?  Are you saying that you gave it once
when setting up the connection, it spun for a while, and then prompted
you again for the key?  This failure mode is typical when it cannot
associate with the access point.  We don't get good information as to
why we couldn't associate (it doesn't say "bad password!") so we just
assume that the password was wrong and allow you to try it again.

> 4. As on my own system, when the WEP key is requested there is no option in
> the drop-down list to change it to WPA.

That's because with WPA the access point can actually tell you that it
requires WPA.  If you're not getting this, and your access point is
setup for WPA, I would suspect that your card is never actually able to
communicate with the access point, which could be a firmware/kernel
thing.

> IOW, exactly like on my own system, it plain doesn't work.

Thank you for trying, as I stated, I think the evidence in this trail
points more toward a kernel/firmware issue than a connection software
issue.  It would be good to file a bug against kernel and include the
log messages related to your attempts to connect.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!