Anne Wilson has network troubles on Aspire One

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 16:48:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 03:55:39PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 15 November 2008 08:51:00 Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> > >

> First thoughts - if we have both fully upgraded, there shouldn't be any
> difference in our systems at this point, whether we started from the same
> point or not - agreed?

More or less, but we've both probably added and removed
programs--however, I can't see them obviously making a difference.

> I guess that it's possible that Acer have done the old trick of selling
> identically named kit but with different chipsets.  Not sure how that could be
> checked without opening the box, and I'm sure that neither of us want to at
> the moment.

They, as well as Atheros, the maker of the card in question, are
notorious for that.  Atheros has a couple of different chipsets that MS
sees as AR5007EG.

I think we've covered this one too, but several folks on the AA1
forums felt that the MadWifi drivers were working better for them than
were the ath5k mods.  I did try both, but all was fine with the ath5k
and there was no improvement (nor did it work more poorly, it's simply
easier to stick with the kernel module, which is why I did so.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Oh, no... I have to go take an English make-up exam.
They give you credit just for speaking it, right?