Skype under Fedora-10/KDE

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Nov 15 23:47:34 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:

>> Is anyone successfully running Skype under Fedora-10 with KDE?

> It;s all in the settings, if Fedora would only  make all settings
> "halfway" Default, it sure would stop a lot of heart aches .

> I got Skype installed and working on a eeePC 701.
> I yum installed  "gnome-volume-manager"  and run gnome-volume-control
> and open all channels/preferences
> and selected each.

> On my Laptop eeePC I uninstall Pulseaudio and sound begin to work, then
> I reinstalled Puseaudio and sound works, I had to find the MIC setting
> and adjust.

I take it you are running Fedora with Gnome.
I don't think this will help much with my problem,
which seems specific to KDE.

I've run Skype on two EeePC's (EeePC-1000 and EeePC 4G) with no problems.
But sadly I have moved over to Fedora-10/KDE on my 4 laptops,
and that means I have to run one in Windows XP to use Skype.

Incidentally, sound is working fine with pulseaudio on this F-10/KDE laptop.
It's just Skype that isn't working.

Various people have suggested unspecified changes in the Skype configuration.
But the only Skype config file I see is /etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf
(which seems to me a very odd place for a config file)
and I've no idea what changes one could make here
if that is appropriate, which I doubt.

But surely there must be people running F-10 with KDE and Skype?
Please let me know if you are ...