No sound on youtube (Solved)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 16 23:17:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:50:54PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Mads Kiilerich wrote,

>> > But unless I am misreading that page, it is not included in the dist-f10 or
>> > f10-final branches. Am I correct?
>>
>> As far as I can see you are absolutely right. It was available until
>> recently, and I couldn't imagine would be changed so late in the
>> process.
>
> Well, I downloaded the libflashsupport package from Koji and installed it and
> now my sound is working.

Odd.  I just tried removing, on a 32 bit system this time, firefox,
nspluginwrapper and flash.

I reinstalled flash from the Adobe site.
I installed firefox.  I didn't have to do anything.  (When I removed
firefox the first time, I also deleted ~/.mozilla.)

I opened firefox and it showed the flash plugin and worked.  No
libflashsupport was installed.

A few things that I do a little differently, which might be an issue,
though I don't see why.  I don't use gnome and sound doesn't work for me
with a default install.  I still have to edit permissions in
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default-perms.  I also remove
alsa-pulseaudio-plugin (or whatever it's called.)  I leave all the other
pulseaudio stuff in place, that's the package that seems to break it for
me.

In fairness to pulse audio, and to the decision to tie sound to console
kit, once I found that these two actions fixed it for me, I stopped
looking for other solutions.  On Ubuntu it all works as it's supposed
to, and I don't find sound any better in quality, so whatever
that alsa pulseaudio plugin might provide, it doesn't make it worth even
5 minutes of googling to figure out how to get it to work, for me.

This is on a 32 bit system just upgraded today.

So, maybe one should simply get the plugin from Adobe?  (Though I
suspect it's the same rpm.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: We have a marching jazz band?
Oz: Yeah, but, you know, since the best jazz is improvisational,
we'd be going off in all directions, banging into floats... scary.
Willow: He's just being Oz.
Oz: Pretty much full time.