Testing extending encrypted root file system

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:58:50 UTC 2008

I installed F10Spin2, and selected "encrypted" for root.  So grub
boots root with "root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00".

I would like to test extending VolGroup00/LogVol00 by adding a
partition that currently contains an NTFS file system (/dev/sda2).

Googling yields the following recipe:

1. "pvcreate /dev/sda2"
2. "vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sda2"
3. "lvextend -l +100%PVS /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /dev/sda2"
4. "cryptsetup resize luks-XXXXXX" (where luks-XXXXXX is the name
shown in /dev/mapper/luks*)
5. "resizefs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"

Before I possibly blow away my root fs, I thought I would ask:

1. Can the above be done on an active root, or must I do this with the
Live/Rescue CD?
2. Does the above order look right, that is, pvcreate -> vgextend ->
lvextend -> cryptsetup resize -> resizefs
3. I notice there is "lvresize" as well.  Any differences of note?

This the "right way" to do this?  Other suggestions/recommendations
(besides backing up first ;) )?

I presume this will "automagically" extend the encryption to the new
PV/extent of the LV.  Right?

Apologize if this is Fedora-documented somewhere.  Pointers welcome!

Thanks,
   tom
--
Tom London