kde4 testing questions

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:52:08 UTC 2008

Hello, I'm trying kde4 as provided in upcoming F10.
Some questions:
- I would like to see on the panel only the icons of applications
running in the current desktop and not of all of them. Is it possible?
- I'm using 177.82 version of nvidia proprietary driver (from
rpmfusion). It seems that this version should  resolve the problems
raised in the past with kde4 without using particular settings in
xorg.conf. Is it true?
I'm not using any compositing (compiz or kwin) at this moment but
sometimes I see sluggish movement of windows and delays... that I
don't see in gnome
I'm using an xps M1330 with  GeForce 8400M GS video card with its
13.3" monitor plus a 19" one connected via vga
My xorg.conf at the moment is something like this lines below.

Thanks,
Gianluca

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "AIGLX" "on"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Philips 190B"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8400M GS"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option         "RenderAccel" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8400M GS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-s
elect +0+1024"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection