kde4 testing questions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:04:22 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 09:52:08 Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying kde4 as provided in upcoming F10.
> Some questions:
> - I would like to see on the panel only the icons of applications
> running in the current desktop and not of all of them. Is it possible?

It's definitely possible, but I can't remember where the setting is.  I'll
come back when I've found it.

> - I'm using 177.82 version of nvidia proprietary driver (from
> rpmfusion). It seems that this version should  resolve the problems
> raised in the past with kde4 without using particular settings in
> xorg.conf. Is it true?
> I'm not using any compositing (compiz or kwin) at this moment but
> sometimes I see sluggish movement of windows and delays... that I
> don't see in gnome
> I'm using an xps M1330 with  GeForce 8400M GS video card with its
> 13.3" monitor plus a 19" one connected via vga
> My xorg.conf at the moment is something like this lines below.

Not really my field, but some general comments that might put you in the right
direction.

KDE4 is resource-heavy - definitely slower than KDE3.  Keep an eye on cpu and
disk activity - gkrellm? - to find out what's causing the delay.

If you have anything set for nepomuk or strigi, unset them (systemsettings >
Advanced > Desktop Search.  They are impossible to run at the moment if you
want to get anything done.  This will improve, but it's not there yet.

There have been serious problems with a number of NVidia cards - I can't
remember which models, but googling should help.  This is because KDE4 uses
some functions that the NVidia driver was supposed to support, but since no-
one was using these functions it was not previously tested.  NVidia agree that
it was a driver issue and have been working on it.  A new driver has been
released and it is said to cure the problem, but I think it is only a week or
two old, so may not be in the repo yet.  Try the NVidia source.

HTH

Anne