ATI Radeon Woes on F10...

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Nov 18 15:23:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 19:57 +0530, Mani A wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Christopher A. Williams
> <chriswfedora at cawllc.com> wrote:
> > I'm working to get accelerated graphics working on my ThinkPad T400
> > (Model 2765-T6U). In Discreete Graphic mode, it runs the ATI Mobility
> > Radeon HD3470 video chip set. So far:
> >
> > * The fglrx drivers from RPMFusion are horrid (amazingly slow)
> > * The stock Radeon drivers work OK
> > * The experimental Radeon HD driver works OK
> >
> You need to tweak a lot of things for HD3xxx in general
>
> It will help if you use a xorg.conf
>

> Some other options to play with (apart from common ones)
>
> #fglrx specific
> 	Option      "TexturedVideo" "on"
>         Option      "VideoOverlay" "off"
>         Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
>         Option      "Textured2D" "on"
>         Option      "TexturedXrender" "off"
>         Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
>         Option      "BackingStore" "on"
>
> But the latest version is 4 days old!
>
> #radeon
>         Option	"SubPixelOrder"	"NONE"
> 	Option	"AccelDFS"  "on"
> 	Option	"EnablePageFlip" "on"
> 	Option  "AccelMethod" "EXA"
> 	Option  "BusType" "PCIE"
> 	Option  "DisplayPriority"  "HIGH"
> 	Option  "DRI"  "on"

I've played around with all of the above for a couple of days now. I
also re-installed everything on this laptop twice (because I was also
working on other things). Despite all of the tweaking, there was very
little change overall in performance.

fglrx = slow
radeonhd = faster, but somewhat problematic (3D stuff/compiz don't work
well)
radeon = a little slower than radeonhd and limited in capability (2D
only)

At least that's the case for me. I'll keep trying, but for now I've
renamed my xorg.conf to a backup file and switched back to Intel
graphics. While less than ideal, at least Compiz loads and more of the
3D stuff runs...

Cheers,

Chris

--