Flash plugin - where?

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Nov 18 23:53:07 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote, On 11/18/2008 02:05 PM:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>

>> When I install Flash plugin (or other Firefox plugins)
>> the plugin is installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ .
>>
>> These plugins are not listed when I enter "about:plugins" in Firefox,
>> and they do not appear to be active.
>>
>> However, if I link these plugin files to ~/.mozilla/plugins/
>> then they are listed and are active.
>>
>> Is this normally required?
>> Or have I omitted some step in installing plugins?
>>

> Sorry to repeat an earlier posting,
> but I never got a response to what seems to me
> to be a fairly important question.
>
> Is this problem specific to me?
> Or does everyone using Firefox under F-10 have to make this link?

You are absolutely right.

Some stracing helped me to find out that /usr/bin/firefox contains:

##
## Select the propper plugin dir
## Wrapped plug-ins are located in /lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
##
if [ -x "/usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config" ]
then
  MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR="plugins-wrapped"
else
  MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR="plugins"
fi

##
## Make sure that we set the plugin path
##
if [ "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH" ]
then

MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$MOZ_LIB_DIR/mozilla/$MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR:$MOZ_DIST_BIN/$MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR
else

MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_LIB_DIR/mozilla/$MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR:$MOZ_DIST_BIN/$MOZ_PLUGIN_DIR
fi
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH

So: you can either accept that it looks in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/, uninstall nspluginwrapper, or you can
set the environment variable MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH to something that matches
what you expect.

That behaviour was surprising to me. And apparently to you too.

/Mads