The nv driver and GeForce 7100 (Was: F10 on Homebuilt Box - Absolutely Brutal...!!!!)

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 18:23:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 11:05 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> OK - I tested this out as prescribed. Here are my results:
>
> Running with no xorg.conf file:
> We try to load the nv driver and fail, then we SUCCESSFULLY fall back to
> vesa! Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!
>
> Running with xorg.conf file that is _specifically_ set to use the nv
> driver:
> We try to load the nv driver and fail. No fallback to vesa. If we tried
> to fall back to vesa, it didn't work.
>
> Overall, I would call this a success.
>
> Keeping in mind that we won't have an xorg.conf file by default, the fix
> works as currently implemented (and should therefore work on the Live CD
> and Install DVD). Explicitly configuring the nv driver, IMHO, _should_
> produce a failure since it isn't supported on this card.

Yeah, I meant it to act this way when I wrote the patch, I just
described the test scenario wrong.  Sorry about that.

And yes, I agree, explicitly asking for nv should fail, this is really
just about fixing the magic setup heuristic.

Thanks for testing!  I should have an updated patch shortly.

- ajax