Evolution and the Global Catalog Server - Debacle

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu Nov 20 20:56:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:35 +0100, William Murray wrote:
> I hope the MAPI branch works for you.
>
> I use the exchange-owa plugin. For a desktop inside the corporate
> firewall it is fine to use the Global Catalog Server. But outside the
> firewall you need to tunnel in just for that, while the email/calendar
> bit works fine over http/OWA.
>     But you have to open the tunnel before you start evolution because
> otherwise it hangs for a minute waiting for the GCS to time out, and
> then evo hangs FOREVER if you start the tunnel while it is running.
>    So I just gave up and disabled the GCS on my laptop. I just isn't
> worth the hassle. And guess what - evolution never crashes with the GCS
> disabled  - it used to crash every week, if not every day.
>           Bill

Thanks for the tips. Looks like the MAPI provider plug-in might do what
I want some day, but it's definitely not soup yet.

Ironically, I also saww evolution crashing on me when trying to browse
the GAL (when I could see it). It definitely doesn't do that right now.

I subscribed to those lists and will follow along with progress from
there.

Cheers,

Chris

--