preupgrade problem

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Nov 21 11:42:45 UTC 2008

Adam Pribyl wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Running preupgrade on a Fedora-9 system
>> gives me the following error:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 198, in
>>  on_assistant_apply
>>    self._do_main()
>>  File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 206, in _do_main
>>    self.main_preupgrade()
>>  File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 349, in
>>  main_preupgrade
>>    self.pu.retrieve_treeinfo()
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line
>>  395, in retrieve_treeinfo
>>    self.instimage = cp.get('stage2', 'instimage')
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
>>    raise NoOptionError(option, section)
>> ConfigParser.NoOptionError: No option 'instimage' in section: 'stage2'

> I think this is and old version of preupgrade. Use the one from
> updates-testing.

I installed a newer version of preupgrade by temporarily enabling
the fedora-updates-testing and fedora-updates-testing-newkey repos
(it seemed to be necessary to include both).
The new preupgrade tried to install what it called
"Upgrade to Fedora 10 (Cambridge) Beta" but this failed.
I'm not quite sure why (I was doing this remotely)
but I'll try to find out exactly what the error is.

Just to be clear - I can run preupgrade on a standard Fedora-9 system?
I've run it successfully on several machines,
but they were already running testing versions of Fedora.