pxeboot: good news and bad news

David Mack davidwmack at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 22:00:29 UTC 2008

For the first time in more than a week I was able to do a successful
PXE install of Rawhide. Hooray! After logging in and running startx
(install set it to runlevel 3) it brought up a gnome desktop and it
didn't freeze part way through the initial rendering. More hooray!
Then the screen turned solid white. Booooo! Logging in from another
machine and killing compiz got me my screen back. Hoorayish!

What can I put in the kickstart config file to tell F10 to start
metacity instead of compiz?

Also, X is a bit brain-damaged about possible screen resolutions. How
do I tell it that my monitor can do 1280x1024 instead of being maxed
at 1024x768? (I would like a solution that doesn't involve
resurrecting xorg.conf.)

Thanks,
Dave