kernel oops on Asus X64 machine, cannot send smoltProfile :(

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 01:11:16 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 11/21/08, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: kernel oops on Asus X64 machine, cannot send smoltProfile :(
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Friday, November 21, 2008, 4:32 PM
> Dear fellow testers,
>
> I installed Fedora 10 Preview on a barebones built machine
> with ASUS motherboard with integrated graphics.  I had to
> install in text mode because the graphical mode, I could not
> see the next button to click on it.  When I managed to
> install I yum updated it to keep up with the updates.  I was
> yum installing wine and other packages like kile, texmaker,
> maxima, ..., etc.  The machine froze and I tried rebooting,
> but was unsuccessfull in applying the
> yum-complete-transaction because the machine ran out of
> space.  I managed to boot DVD and ran rescue and completed
> the transaction.  I tried to send in smoltProfile but it
> failed :(
>
> [olivares at asus-amd64-athlon ~]$ smoltSendProfile
> Unable to save UUID, continuing...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/smoltSendProfile", line 35, in
> <module>
>     from scan import scan, rating
>   File "/usr/share/smolt/client/scan.py", line
> 30, in <module>
>     h = smolt.Hardware()
>   File "/usr/share/smolt/client/smolt.py", line
> 359, in __init__
>     self.devices[udi] = Device(props)
>   File "/usr/share/smolt/client/smolt.py", line
> 134, in __init__
>     self.UUID = getUUID()
>   File "/usr/share/smolt/client/smolt.py", line
> 1015, in getUUID
>     sys.err.write(_('Your UUID file could not be
> created: %s\n' % e))
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
> 'err'
>
> Kernel Oops is here:
>
> http://www.kerneloops.org/submitresult.php?number=105041
>
> Video is integrated and I get only 640x480 :(, monitor is
> capable of 1280x1024 but no X org, Xorg -configure does not
> work :(, system-config-display has been depracated.  How can
> I fix it?  Any thoughts other than custom Xorg.conf or how
> to do without it and achieve higher resolution?
> Here's lspci in case that can help
>
> [root at asus-amd64-athlon tmp]# lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI
> Bridge (Internal gfx)
> 00:07.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 PCI to PCI
> Bridge (PCI Express Port 3)
> 00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600
> Non-Raid-5 SATA
> 00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB
> (OHCI0)
> 00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB
> (OHCI1)
> 00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB
> (OHCI2)
> 00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB
> (OHCI3)
> [...]

I managed to fix the resolution I ran
# Xorg -configure
and manually added the line "Modes 1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600", but as I tried to reply to this message from that machine, it just froze :(  This has happened three times in a row.  I do not know why :(

If I boot back to the older kernel the -68 one, it runs a little longer, but still locks up and no response from mouse or keyboard.  What should I do?

I'll probably be out for the weekend and get back to this machine on Monday, but I will carefully try to pay attention to suggestions and advice.  Seldomly linux machines have frozen on me, and when this happens I am in disbelif but it has happened :(

Thanks,

Antonio