can't install base system using CD 1

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 07:26:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 06:19:16PM +1100, Mikel Ward wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just tried to install the Fedora 10 i386 preview using only the first CD.
>
> Even after going to "customize packages now" and deselecting all
> non-essential packages, including Office and Productivity on the first
> screen, and then all the boxes not under Base System on the second
> screen (e.g. GNOME Desktop, Graphical Internet, Editors, Graphics,
> etc, etc.), it still told me I needed CD 1 and CD 2, and I could not
> go back.

Untested but--I believe you also have to uncheck the base system to only
use CD 1.  That is, or at least was, the case in CentOS.

Again, in CentOS, this will mean that among other things, yum doesn't
get installed, though it's easily added from the packages on the first
CD.  I don't remember if ethernet worked or not, but IIRC, that could
also be fixed with rpms on the first CD.

The only reason I'm mentioning this untested, possibly quite wrong
advice is because judging from your sentence below,

> This left me with a re-formatted root partition and no bootable OS.

it won't make things any worse and might give you the chance to fix it.

> Please take steps to ensure at least the base operating system
> packages are all available on CD 1.

There is always the option of the live CD.   Fewer and fewer
distributions though, seem to be putting an installable system on one
CD, vs. a live CD that allows you to install but doesn't give you a
chance to really customize your package selection.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: You're a vampire. Oh, I'm sorry. Was that an offensive
term? Should I say undead American?